Wednesday, April 22, 2009

And The Search Continues...

So, in my previous post, I gave you a list of all the location only venues. Now I will go over the hotels that I visited. My preference was to not go with a hotel, because I really want to choose my own caterer. However, there are some fantastic hotels in Miami, and many had exactly what we were looking for.

FIRST OFF, THE DEFINITE NO’S.

1. Doubletree Grand Hotel – Biscayne Bay
Photobucket
Photobucket
Published package rates start at $73/pp
If price is a major concern, this hotel is a great option. The hotel is a little outdated in my opinion, but the view from the terrace and ballroom all but make up for it. Unfortunately for us, we didn’t like the terrace for the ceremony, so this hotel was quickly eliminated. The ballroom is plain, but leaves a lot of room for adding your own touch. The only thing that really bothered me was the difference in heights of the ceiling.

2. Sonesta Hotel - Coconut Grove
Photobucket
Photobucket
Published package rates start at $89/pp
Again, this hotel is a great option if you are only looking for a reception venue at a good price. The package starts at $89/pp for 5 hours and includes pretty much everything. But once again, the terrace for the ceremony was too plain and is surrounded by buildings. Yes, there is a great water view, but it is off in the distance. The location could work with A LOT of décor, but then again, that defeats the purpose when you are trying to save money. On the positive side, I have only heard great reviews about this hotel as a venue, including comments about how great the food is.

3. Jungle Island
Published package rates start at $103/pp
Yes, I know this is not a hotel, but it is a full service location, which is why I included it here. Honestly, I liked this location a lot more than I thought I would. There are several options to have your ceremony outdoors, as well as your reception if you choose. However, I’ve been to several corporate events here, including 2 company holiday parties, so for me it wasn’t special enough. But there is something fun about getting married next to flamingos.

AND NOW THE MAYBES…

4. Miami Beach Resort & Spa
Photobucket
Photobucket
Published package rates start at $110/pp
Originally SBR & I wanted to get married on the beach. However, after visiting this resort, we quickly had to rethink that. Walking in sand when you are not wearing flip flops….not easy. Asking a 78 year-old man with a walker (my father) to walk on the sand…near impossible. But with that said, the scenery when you get out there is breathtaking. My friend had her reception here back in 1998 when it was the Westin (I think). Now, The Miami Beach Resort & Spa it has not changed much. There are 2 main ballrooms, The Rotunda & the Starlight Room, my favorite being the second. There is also a smaller ballroom that is used as a back-up venue for the ceremony in case of rain. All in all, the location is great, and prices are reasonable for Miami Beach, but the $22,000 minimum on Saturdays is a lot more than we want to spend. The only way we could consider is to have a Sunday wedding when the minimum is lower.

5. The Palms Hotel
Photobucket
Photobucket
Published package rates start at $140/pp
Based on the package starting price, I knew from the start this place was out of my price range. However, the catering manager insisted that she could work within my budget (I told her $90-$100/pp). I instantly fell in love with everything about this location. The Gazebo for the ceremony is gorgeous; the ballrooms are clean & white and are a clean palate for any décor. The only downside was the back-up space for the ceremony was a terrace that left something to be desired. But I was anxious to see how they could work with my budget….well, they didn’t. After removing a large portion of the menu offerings (i.e. 2 courses, 2 hors d’ouerves, 1 hour of open bar & a lot more), they came down to $130/pp. WOW! A whole $10!!! Not only was I disappointed, but I was pissed off they wasted my time. Oh well, next venue!

6. The National Hotel
Published package rates start at $165/pp
Photobucket
Photobucket
Again, I knew this place was out of my budget per person, however, they don’t have the large minimum requirement that many of the larger hotels have. I knew that coming down to below $100/pp would be near impossible; Jamie (the catering manager) stated that all menus are customizable. Now, if you are looking for a true South Beach location, look no further than The National. It’s a boutique hotel and has a very modern feel for a wedding ceremony and reception. It’s already been featured on Platinum Weddings and they recently filmed another episode there. Not to mention the staff is outstanding! From the moment I walked in, I was attended to. Jamie is awesome as well. She listened to everything that I was saying and did not try to sell hotel. She is also great at responding. At the end of the day though, we would have had to cut our guest list more than we wanted to have our wedding at The National. This is not to say that Jaime didn’t try. She was able to customize the menu down to a more affordable rate.

7. The Epic Hotel
>Photobucket
Photobucket
Published package rates start at $125/pp
The Epic is a brand new hotel in downtown Miami that opened in December 2008. I originally hadn’t considered the location, but went to one of their Bridal Showcases in March. All I can say is WOW. If you want a modern feel to your reception, then check this place out. The only downside for us was that The Lawn is not completed yet, so we weren’t able to see where the ceremony would take place. In the end, the package prices were pretty much set in stone, so it was out of our budget. But if it’s in yours, put this hotel on your list to must see and if you have the opportunity, visit their next Bridal Showcase on May 14th.

8. The Mayfair Resort & Spa
Photobucket
Photobucket
Published package rates start at $110/pp
Surprisingly enough, I had never been to the Mayfair before despite having passed by it hundreds of times. Ulla was very helpful in showing me the space and working within our budget. The ceremony would take place on the Palm Terrace, an inside space with a glass ceiling. The only downside to this space (and the deciding factor for SBR) was that it is surrounded by the hotel rooms. Personally, this didn’t bother me, as I was assured by Ulla that the staff tries to keep the space clear throughout the ceremony. The Ballroom is also very nice and neutral with a spectacular chandelier in the center. I’ve seen numerous pictures of this ballroom and it is extremely versatile. We liked this space so much, that we did ask to hold the date while we made our decision, but in the end, we chose….

TO BE CONTINUED

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences. My fiance is still trying to figure out a good place for our wedding, but some of them are so expensive for catering as you noted. We have our caterer here http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/caterers.html and we want to keep her, so we just have to find a venue where outside catering is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon.. Have you looked into Grove Isle? In my opinion, it is the most romantic place in Miami with the best views. Like other places of this class, it is most likely pretty expensive. So I have not looked into it. Like you, I want to keep the budget under $100 pp but I still want a wow wedding.. any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time.Miami Wedding Venues, LED Dance Floor Miami, Furniture Rental Miami, Stage Rental Miami,
    Led Screen Miami

    ReplyDelete